Friday, April 20, 2012

A spoon full of sugar- get the inside scoop.

DISCLAIMER: THIS COULD GET LENGTHY


...and I'll TRY to keep my cool, I have some very big opinions on this subject. I will do my best to site my sources, however, I have done a TON of research on the infamous sugar so some of the information runs together and I can't always remember which tidbit of information came from which study, paper, article, documentary. 


My 5 year old Parker has a mild combination of ADD and OCD...it runs in the family. However, he has never been formally diagnosed (again, because I avoid doctors when possible).  I also would like to continue to avoid medicating my child when possible. Those medications are heavy stuff and there is some serious issues with the pharmaceutical industry- but that's an entirely different post. Don't get me wrong, I am ever so grateful for modern medicine...but I also believe our society is over medicated too often covering symptoms instead of fixing the real problem. Anyways, getting back to Parker...I was about at my wits end with my sons behavioral troubles at about the same time I started my eating overhaul. The moment I started reducing my sugar intake, naturally, his sugar intake was affected as well. And can you guess what happened?! Of Course, his compulsions DRAMATICALLY decreased. Now, this was all before I really started to do my major research on food and health...but I noticed the difference and had my suspicions. I began taking special note of his behavior when he did get that special sugary treat or drink. Almost instantaneously he would lose control of his actions and compulsions. I vocalized my suspicions to my R.N mother. She also began to observe the exact same things I had been observing. Needless to say this is where my research began. I wanted to know why and how.  Now moving onto my findings.
What is the poison Ann is referring to? Processed & refined foods, of course...more specifically SUGAR! I believe it was in the 80's when Fat Free, Reduced Fat trend began. Well when you take the fat out of food, it tastes like cardboard. The food industry knew this...so what did they do about it? They added refined sugars to EVERYTHING. Whether it be high fructose corn syrup or table sugar, THEY'RE BOTH POISONOUS. Once sugar is stripped from it's natural form (corn or sugar cane) it's stripped of all it's nutrients and our body is incapable of properly digesting it. Well, guess what has happened since fat was taken out of foods and replaced with sugar...obesity and diabetes has nearly TRIPLED!!! The documentary "Food Matters" (available on netflix) discusses this further.  

Okay, so, you just ate a couple of hot fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies (my weakness). What happens? Well, your body breaks it down...actually, more like attacks it because the body doesn't recognize it as food but rather as a toxin. The sugar hits the blood stream and that blood sugar starts rising so your pancreas reacts by releasing the hormone insulin. How do you think insulin regulates that spiking blood sugar? By storing this unusable energy as fat! No bueno. This is a lot of work for the body. Excess hormone production is never good, and can do a lot of damage to our precious bodies!

 So that is what happens to an adult body, what kind of damage can sugar do to our little loved ones.... Heather K. Scott addresses this in an article I once read called "Too Much Sugar". She talked about why and how a childs bodies reacts to sugar. If an adult drinks a can of soda, 40 grams of sugar mind you, that's like 1 gram of sugar to 4 pounds of body weight. BUT A CHILD, let's say a 40 pound child...you do the math. That's like drinking 4-6 cans of soda. Their blood sugar spikes rapidly giving them that sugar "high" and they are incapable of self-control. Then they have that sudden crash which leads to just as much dysfunction- mood swings, tantrums, inability to concentrate. For children, like my son, who already have mild imbalances even the slightest amounts of sugar can throw them for a loop.

Another study that I just recently watched was on CBS 60 minutes, "Is Sugar Toxic?"...it hit a couple different issues which I thought were enlightening. But mostly, I wanted to bring to light the addictiveness of sugar. The second sugar hits your tongue it stimulates the same part of your brain that reacts when one consumes alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, and other drugs. Dopamine is released. Dopamine is that feel good neurotransmitter. The more sugar you binge on, the more sugar it takes to get that same "feel-good" affect...just like any other drug. No wonder we keep coming back for more.

How on earth do you cut the cravings?

Calling all sugar addicts...I am here to help. Hopefully. For me, if it wasn't in my house I wouldn't eat it. Time to clean out the pantry...I know, I know it's heart breaking but necessary.

 1.THROW OUT THE DING DONG'S, HO HO'S, SODA, DOUGHNUTS! Toss the BIG STUFF first that you KNOW you shouldn't be eating. 

2.Next, learn to read labels! This is VERY important! Sugar is hidden in everything...and I'm not saying you have to completely rid your diet of any and all sugar but minimize when possible. 

3. Once you've read the labels, purchase the lesser of two evils. I'm not so much a fan of artificial sweeteners because they have their own set of repercussions. But, the no sugar added varieties are generally a safer bet. Don't forget to purchase your healthy sugar substitutes- these include raw honey & agave nectar. They are safe sugars because they are unprocessed, they are still attached to the other nutrients that the body can recognize, digest, and utilize. Stevia is an herb that is an excellent natural sweetener as well, not to mention it's 0 calories. 

4. PURCHASE AND EAT FRUIT!!! Want a candy bar...snack on some grapes, apples, bananas, berries instead. Again, it's natural sugar still bound with natural fibers and nutrients creating a lower glycemic index and leaving them usable and digestible.

5. EXPERIMENT!! Look up new modified, healthier, substitutes for your favorite weaknesses. I'll post a recipe at the end for a delicious cookie. But another example, you can't have thanksgiving without pie right?! So I made a whole wheat pie crust using healthy oil instead of butter...then made a delicious strawberry raspberry filling using a touch of honey and stevia instead of any sugar! IT WAS SOOO GOOD!

6. Stay strong. Don't try to cold turkey it...Remember it'll take time and you don't need to completely illuminate it, just be aware of your sugar intake and continually work to decrease it. If you are a religious soda drinker- start with 1 less can a day. Then progress to only a couple times a week, then continue until it's just the occasional treat. 


MY FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPE!


3 RIPE mashed bananas (the riper the sweeter, if bananas aren't ripe enough add a couple TBSP of honey to recipe)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. Rolled oats
2/3 c. Ground almonds (can be ground in a blender your self or buy almond meal)
1/4 c melted coconut oil (or olive but coconut is best)
Make them versatile by adding your choice of add ins...ex:Shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and/or dried fruit to taste.

Combine ingredients. Bake at 350 about 20 mins.

NOM NOM NOM!

If you aren't bored out of your mind yet, come back tomorrow for a few of my favorite workouts!


5 comments:

  1. Great post, Nikki! I feel the same way with NJ. When he has too much sugar (or even a little bit), he has much bigger meltdowns and is bouncing off the walls. I've tried cutting down on sugar by switching his milk to unsweetened almond milk and cutting out candy (or at least, trying to cut out candy). My problem comes where I make homemade stuff...NJ just won't eat it. I mean, he loves chicken nuggets, but if I make a healthier version myself, he won't touch it. Same with pancakes, waffles, cookies, bread, etc. Basically, if it doesn't come from a restaurant or a box, it is a PAIN to get him to eat it. Do I just stay strong and eventually he'll give in? I don't want him to starve, but I do want to cut out sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand- Parker was the exact same way. If it wasn't mac and cheese from a box, cheetos, or gummies he was uninterested. However, when we made our change...we eliminated his options. If we still had those unhealthy alternatives around of course he would decline the healthy stuff. The boy has to eat something eventually, and if healthy options are all he has to chose from eventually he'll cave, and over time his taste buds will adapt to aquire a taste for the healthy stuff. Another thing that helped Parker in his transition was actually explaining WHY we are eating it, and WHY we are NOT eating the other stuff. Simple talk kids can understand...for example explaining to him that 'the healthy stuff makes you grow big and strong like your favorite super hero' and that 'too much sugar can make you sick, and could land you an unwanted doctors visit.' Parker is a competitive kid and wants to be the best at EVERYTHING so continuously emphasizing how strong he's going to be while he was eating the good-for-him stuff is what really helped him along. You know NJ, find his favorite thing in the world and use that somehow to give him motive to want to eat healthier, and then eliminating the sugary options. He wont starve. Good luck and stay strong! It's worth it not to have the melt downs!

      Delete
  2. I was hoping you would do a post on this!! Sugar is something I have been working on in our home for the last year. We are definitely not there yet, but we have made huge changes. I use honey and agave instead of sugar most of the time. I do buy some foods with processed sugar, but I have a limit of how many grams per serving I'll buy. Fruit has definitely been our saving grace!! We eat SO MUCH fruit!!! I also started making my own pasta sauces since they often carry lots of sugar. Anyway, great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely post that pie recipe. I'm really loving your blog.

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete